What It Takes to Build Resilience
From our March, 2022 Newsletter. Read the full content of the newsletter here, and sign up for future newsletters at our contact page.
What Does It Take to Build Resilience?
This month, we round out the tips we’ve shared with you on Manager Resilience with components 3 and 4: Communication and Connection.
Communication and Connection focus on what you can control in your working relationships to build resilience as a team and take on new and unexpected challenges.
So What Does It Mean to Foster Healthy Communication and Connection?
- Have a Framework to navigate the difficult conversations we typically avoid
- Make Time and Space by establishing consistent, clear opportunities and sessions for one-on-ones and feedback
- Practice Active Listening by reiterating and affirming what you’re hearing
- Create Psychological Safety by coming in with curiosity and positivity; ensure your team feels safe from blame, judgement, or retribution in conversations
- Manage Triggers, Challenge Assumptions that create roadblocks in listening
- Build Trust over Time by being reliable and consistent
- Sense of Purpose: Have a clear mission, goals, and clarity on each person’s role
- Shared Values Be clear in your values and how they align with your goals
- Build Emotional Connection by recognizing milestones, struggles, and the welfare of your team members
- Offer Opportunities for Social Connection: This can look like virtual happy hours, team picnics, trivia games, team-building exercises or retreats
Want to learn more about how you can apply these tips to your workplace? Connect with us and ask about our Manager Resilience services.